1. Go Nuts with Walnuts. Walnuts contain Omega-3 fatty acids (good fats) that your brain needs. Your brain is made up of 60% good fats.
Walnuts also contain Vitamin E and flavonoids which protect your brain.
2. Fatty Fish: Such as Wild Salmon, Mackerel, Cod, Halibut, Sardines and Anchovies. Salmon is especially high in Omega-3’s which can lower levels of
beta-amyloid, a protein which is thought to play a role in Alzheimer’s Disease. If you don’t eat 8 oz’s of this type of fatty fish per week,
then take a supplement of Krill oil.
3. Berry, Berry- Good for you. yes, Berries such as Blueberries (which I call Brain Berries), Strawberries and Cranberries are all good for your brain.
4. Go Green- Spinach, Kale and other Leafy vegies. Studies sow Women in their 60’s who ate more leafy veggies over time, did better than those that did not.
Also Vitamin C, found in Spinach, may help prevent Dementia.
5. Tumeric- acive ingredient Curcumin. This is the spice in curry, can help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. UCLA researchers found that Vitamin D3 taken with Curcumin, may help your immune system to get rid of the amino acid (building blocks of protein) that form the plaque in your brain that is associated with Alzheimer’s.
6. Chocolate- Dark Not Milk chocolate. Dark Chocolate contains flavonoids can slow down the effects of dementia.
7. Resveratrol- found in Red Wine and Red Grapes. This substance which has been shown to prevent heart disease, is now being studied for it’s ability to prevent or at least
slow the progression of Alzheimer’s.
by Dr Earl Mindell