In a recent Harvard University-Robert Wood Johnson Foundation-NPR poll, nearly 25% of 2,500 participants said they experienced a great deal of stress in the last month. A poll conducted by AARP in August of this year, found that 37% of adults over 50 experienced a major stressful life in the past year.
People under stress end up eating, drinking and smoking more, and sleeping and exercising less, which can lead to ill health.
8 Conditions that may be caused by Stress:
1. THE COMMON COLD Our immune system are unable to respond properly and consequently produce levels of inflammation that lead to disease, under continuous stress.
2. WEIGHT GAIN Stress hormones stimulate a preference for sugar, starch and fat foods.
3. SLOWER HEALING Excess cortisol (Natural cortisone) slowI wound healing and lowers vaccines’ effectiveness in older people who are caring for sick family members.
4. SLEEP DYSFUNCTION Stress may aggravate sleep deficits, making it especially hard for older people to get back to sleep when they wake up at night.
Higher cortisol levels, due to stress, may contribute to nighttime wakefulness.
5. HEART DISEASE A research study at Harvard Medical school, discovered that blood samples taken from medical residents enduring high levels of stress contained a surplus of disease-fighting white blood cells. The results is a plaque build up in the blood vessels.
6. DEPRESSION Stress can throw several brain neurotransmitter systems —–such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine out of balance, which can affect mood, appetite, sleep and libido.
7. ULCERS AND STOMACH PROBLEMS Today we know that the bacteria H,pylori causes ulcers. One theory holds that the effect of chronic stress on your immune system allows the H. pylori bacteria to thrive.
8. BACK PAIN AND SHOULDER PAIN The theory is that stress-induced inflammation prevents the full healing that would make the back and shoulder pain recede.
In my New Vitamin Bible, I recommend these nutrients to help your body cope with the stress of 21 st Century living:
1. A Complete Certified Organic Multiple Vitamin and Mineral taken with food daily.
2. Calcium 500 mg taken twice daily. Coral Calcium and Calcium Citrate is recommended.
3. MAGNESIUM 250 MG taken twice daily. Magnesium citrate is recommended
4. MELATONIN 0.5 to 3 mg can be taken before bedtime. Sublingual under the tongue form is recommended. Try to use the smallest amount that gets you to
5. VITAMIN B COMPLEX 25 TO 50 mg twice daily.
6. Chamomile Tea Instead of coffee and regular tea.
7. ST John’s Wort 300 mg once or twice daily. If you are taking any medication, check with your pharmacist before taking ST John’s Wort.
8. Exercise 30 minutes per day.
by Earl Mindell